Should I Use A Flat Or Wedge Changing Mat?
Changing mats are a popular tool used by many parents across the world. Babies need to be changed up to 12 times a day, so it is worthwhile investing in the right nappy changing equipment to make your (and your baby’s) nappy changing experience a little bit easier!
There are so many different types of changing mats available which can make choosing the right one a tricky process. We will discuss some of the most popular types of changing pads and the benefits of each, to help you narrow down your nappy changing choices.
What is a Nappy Changing Pad Used For?
Nappy changing pads are used as a comfortable surface to change your baby’s nappy on. Due to the soft underneath padding of the changing mat, babies feel more relaxed, which frees up your hands and can make the process much easier and faster.
They are a convenient, hygienic option which are a popular choice for lots of parents.
A baby’s bath towel is often used as an alternative to a changing mat, however, towels do not provide the same level of support and comfort that a changing mat can provide.
It is worthwhile investing in a good quality changing mat to minimise the time and energy spent changing your baby.
Standard Nappy Changing Mats
Standard changing mats are padded mats with slightly raised edges to prevent babies from rolling off the mat. The average size of a standard changing mat is 17.5 x 27.5 inches, although this can differ depending on the brand.
What Are the Benefits?
Standard changing mats provide a number of advantages over their padded counterparts.
- Reduced cost - Standard changing mats are often considerably cheaper than other types of changing mats because of their simple but effective design style
- Increased safety - Safety is the number one concern for most parents. Standard changing mats are a safer option to flat changing mats because the raised edges prevent your wriggling baby to wriggle itself off the mat
Which Standard Changing Mat Should I Get For My Baby?
If a standard changing mat is the ideal option for you, ClayBear has an array of beautifully designed changing mats at reasonable prices.
Check out our best selling Strawberry Standard Changing Mat, perfect for changing your baby on the go. The measurements of this mat are 80cm x 50cm, making it the ideal size to fit in your bag.
What is a Flat Travel Changing Pad?
Available in a wide array of designs and patterns, flat travel changing pads are ideal for changing your baby on the go. Whether you’re out shopping, at the park or at the swimming pool, these changing pads are perfect to take with you wherever you go.
The flat design and lack of zips or compartments makes it easy to wipe clean and reuse.
What Are the Benefits?
Flat nappy changing pads provide a whole host of benefits.
- Easily cleanable - Due to the flat surface and lack of zips, flat changing pads can be wiped clean in just one quick swipe of a wet wipe. This design can save you some much needed time when out in public with your baby
- Travel friendly - Flat changing mats are easily foldable to fit in any bag so that you can take your changing mat wherever you go
- Waterproof cover - Flat changing mats are designed to be used on the go in a number of different environments. This is why they boast a removable waterproof and wipe down fabric, so that they are easily cleaned no matter where you are
Which Flat Changing Pad Should I Get For My Baby?
If you are considering getting a flat changing pad for your baby, you might want to know where to find good quality changing mats.
At ClayBear, we take pride in being a sustainable brand with a range of gorgeous changing mats, so that you can find one that best suits you.
We recommend purchasing our popular Hamish Travel Changing Mat which is easily collapsible so that you can take it with you anywhere you go. The measurements for this mat are 64cm x 38cm, making it the ideal size to fit in your bag.
What is a Wedge Nappy Changing Mat?
Wedge nappy changing mats are designed to provide maximum comfort and security for your baby. The sloped edges help to keep your baby from rolling during nappy changes and encourage your baby to stay in the centre of the changing mat.
Wedge nappy changing mats are a popular choice for many parents and offer a number of benefits.
What Are the Benefits?
As one of the most popular types of changing mats, wedge nappy changing pads provide a number of benefits.
- Prevents rolling and wriggling - Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of wedge changing mats is that they keep your baby from wiggling around. This is particularly useful when your little one reaches six months to over a year of age as they become more active which makes it difficult to change their nappies. This makes nappy changes faster because you don't need to use one hand to hold your baby to prevent them from crawling
- Increased safety - The sloping sides of the wedge nappy changing mat help prevent your baby from rolling off and minimises the risk of falls. This is particularly useful if you’re changing your little one on the bed or raised surface like a changing table
- Versatility - The purpose of wedge changing mats is to make nappy changing easier and faster. However, there are a number of other uses for wedge changing mats. The design of wedge changing mats is versatile, and can also be used for playtime. The high sides allow them to play without the risk of moving too much and falling
- Easy to clean - Due to the shape of wedge changing mats, they can contain the mess a lot better than other changing mats. This can speed up the cleaning process and keep surrounding areas clean
- Can be used on raised surfaces - While most parents change their baby’s nappy on the floor, wedge nappy changing mats allow you to safely change your baby’s nappy on any raised, flat surface. This can be a huge benefit for parents who are used to changing their baby’s nappy on the floor because it can reduce the familiar pain of back strain.
Which Wedge Nappy Changing Mat Should I Get For My Baby?
While there are a range of wedge nappy changing mats available on the market, you want to ensure that you choose the right one.
ClayBear provides a variety of wedge changing mats with removable waterproof and wipe down fabric. Our anti-roll mats comply with the rigorous requirements of BS 1877 Part 10 for safety and performance and BS 7177 for flammability. The PVC fabric used makes it easy to clean and cigarette resistant.
Have a look at our Rocket Man Wedge Changing Mat, sized 69cm x 47cm.
How to Clean a Changing Mat
Now that you are up to date with all the different types of changing mats and the benefits they offer, it is also useful to know how to properly clean a changing mat, so that you are fully equipped for nappy changing times.
Keeping your cleaning mat clean is really important to avoid spreading germs and making sure your baby has a safe, hygienic space to lie on during nappy changes.
First, take your baby to their safe place (like a cot), so that your hands are free to clean up the mess on your baby changing mat.
Then, use a couple of baby wipes to mop up any leftover mess.
Finally, wash your baby changing mat with hot soapy water to make sure it's completely sterile and sanitary for next time. Afterwards, wash your hands thoroughly.
Avoid using any products that contain harsh chemicals or bleach.
Are you looking for a popular, sustainable brand which provides high quality, beautifully designed changing mats? Then look no further than ClayBear!
Our changing pads are all made from easy to clean material and available in an array of gorgeous colours and patterns to make the nappy changing process a little bit more enjoyable for both you and your little one.
At ClayBear, we offer a wide range of products from lunch bags to children’s towels, to ensure that we have everything you need for your little one.
To learn more about the products we provide, contact us here today!